The crisp air of November brings to mind the time I went to an orchard in Vermont, walking through the aisles of fruit-laden trees with apples that were larger than my face.
Wading through tall grass dotted with dew, I remember how juicy and crisp the apples were and the quietness of the trees. To bring back that wistful time of openness, and the heavy bags full of fresh-picked fruit, I decided to infuse some apples in my night-time enjoyment.
With apple brandy as the base and Cointreau offering a citrus finish, this simple cocktail is easy to make and even easier to drink—plus, I now have an excuse to use a shaker, so it’s pretty fun too! To really bring the fall flavor home, I recommend just the slightest pinch of cinnamon on the surface, or a sweet cinnamon sugar rim to complement the fruity drink. And, if you’re like me and like to make multiple servings for those that can indulge in your household, the recipe easily multiplies to spread the seasonal fun.
1 oz of your favorite apple brandy
1 oz of Cointreau
1 oz of club soda
Sliced apple, for garnish
Ground cinnamon or cinnamon/sugar, for garnish
Time: 5 min
1. In a shaker, pour 1 oz each of apple brandy, Cointreau, and club soda over crushed ice.
2. Firmly secure the top and shake to thoroughly combine ingredients.
3. Prepare a chilled tumbler glass with a cinnamon sugar rim if desired and strain the cocktail mixture into the glass. Or, sprinkle the smallest pinch of cinnamon onto the surface of the mixture right before serving.
4. Affix a slice of a fresh apple of your choice to the rim of the glass and enjoy.
5. If desired, an extra shot of club soda can be added to lighten the drink for a more refreshing sipper.